Welcome on Board - all information for your enrollment

For a formal application, you need to fill out an admissions application form. This form needs to be signed and handed in at the university together with your supporting documents.

Check List for your application

  • your signed application form (Download)
  • certified copy of your university entrance qualification (HZB), e.g. Abitur, Advanced technical college certificate (Fachhochschulreife), IB, etc
  • where applicable, certified copy of officially translated original academic records (HZB) – original documents in English don't need to be translated
  • where applicable, certified copy of a HZB recognition certificate
  • where applicable, admissions  and de-registration certificates for each course in which you were previously enrolled (indicating study periods and semesters of study)
  • where applicable, proof of German language proficiency (B2-level for BA programme in Film and TV, BA programme Film and Performing Arts and for the BA programme in Communication Management; C1-level for BA programme in Journalism and PR)
  • copy of identity document or birth certificate (not certified)
  • proof of health insurance cover during university study or a copy of your exemption from compulsory insurance (you can find out more under "Health insurance" on our fact sheet). Please find here a comprehensive guide which contains in depth information about proofing the health insurance coverage in Germany for International students.
  • a current photo
  • complete CV

Applying with a German HZB (university entrance qualification)

In Germany these qualifications are Abitur, Fachgebundene Hochschulreife (the subject-specific university entrance qualification), or the Fachhochschulreife (advanced technical college certificate). In certain cases certificates need to be accepted by the Berlin Senate:

  • If the subject-specific entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife) qualifies only for studies in certain federal states, or if it doesn't contain a note of recognition for other states.
  • If the Fachhochschulreife has been obtained outside of Berlin and not at a technical secondary school (Fachoberschule).
  • If the school-based part of the Fachhochschulreife has been obtained or if a corresponding school-leaving certificate from the Gymnasium is available.

Application with a university entrance qualification from the EU or outside the EU

Have you acquired your higher education entrance qualification in an EU country or do you have a German higher education entrance qualification from a German school abroad? In these cases, please apply directly to DEKRA | University of Media. If you acquired your diploma in a non-EU country, you can also apply directly to us. Please take our aptitude test first.

Note on language certificates for international applicants:

  • For the study programmes Film and Television, Film and Performing Arts and Communication Management: proof of language level B2
  • For the Journalism and PR course: proof of language level C1

If you have any further questions regarding your application, please look under the menu item "Apply" or contact our student advisory service at: studienberatung@dekrahochschule.de or T: +49 30 29 00 80 233.

Preparatory college (Studienkolleg) and admissions test

If your previous international education has not been sufficient for a direct application for your desired course, the Studienkolleg route could be a good option enabling you to apply. This is a one-year academic preparation course, culminating in a test to assess your suitability for university ("Feststellungsprüfung"). You may also opt to write the Feststellungsprüfung externally, without attending the Studienkolleg ("Externenprüfung"). 

Please note: The Studienkolleg offers different specialisation courses, which qualify you for a specific range of subjects at German universities. Depending on which course at DEKRA | Hochschule für Medien you wish to apply for, you can take either the W-course (for Journalism an PR or Communication Management) or the G-course (for Film and Television).

University access for vocationally qualified persons

The Berlin University legislation (BerlHG § 11) contains a regulation about university access for vocationally qualified persons ("Hochschulzugang für beruflich Qualifizierte"). Whoever has completed at least two years of vocational training in a profession technically similar to the study course and has subsequently worked in that profession for at least three years will have a good chance at enrolling for an undergraduate degree. 

Basically, the following applies: Meeting the conditions for University entrance according to § 11 BerlHG is seen as a vocational qualification. Even if the abovementioned criteria does not apply to you, it will be advisable to check your specific case in detail. The DEKRA | Hochschule für Medien admissions office can advise you on studying without an Abitur qualification ("Studieren ohne Abitur"). 

Further links