For a formal application, you need to fill out an admissions application form. This form needs to be signed and handed in at the university together with your supporting documents.

Check List for your application

  • your signed application form (Download)
  • certified copy of your university entrance qualification (HZB), e.g. Abitur, Advanced technical college certificate (Fachhochschulreife), IB, etc
  • where applicable, certified copy of officially translated original academic records (HZB) – original documents in English don't need to be translated
  • where applicable, certified copy of a HZB recognition certificate
  • where applicable, admissions  and de-registration certificates for each course in which you were previously enrolled (indicating study periods and semesters of study)
  • where applicable, proof of English language proficiency (B2-level for BA programme in Film and TV)
  • where applicable, proof of German language proficiency (B2-level for BA programme in Film and TV and for the BA programme in Communication Management; C1-level for BA programme in Journalism and PR)
  • copy of identity document or birth certificate (not certified)
  • proof of health insurance cover during university study or a copy of your exemption from compulsory insurance (you can find out more under "Health insurance" on our fact sheet). Please find here a comprehensive guide which contains in depth information about proofing the health insurance coverage in Germany for International students.
  • a current photo
  • complete CV

Applying with a German HZB (university entrance qualification)

In Germany these qualifications are Abitur, Fachgebundene Hochschulreife (the subject-specific university entrance qualification), or the Fachhochschulreife (advanced technical college certificate). In certain cases certificates need to be accepted by the Berlin Senate:

  • If the subject-specific entrance qualification (Fachhochschulreife) qualifies only for studies in certain federal states, or if it doesn't contain a note of recognition for other states.
  • If the Fachhochschulreife has been obtained outside of Berlin and not at a technical secondary school (Fachoberschule).
  • If the school-based part of the Fachhochschulreife has been obtained or if a corresponding school-leaving certificate from the Gymnasium is available.

Application with an EU higher education entrance qualification

Have you acquired your university entrance qualification in an EU country or do you have a German university entrance qualification from a German school abroad? In these cases, apply directly to DEKRA | College of Media.

Application with an university entrance qualification outside the EU

If you have purchased your certificate in a non-EU country, send your application to uni-assist e.V. Important: Do not submit originals to uni-assist e.V. All original documents (in the original language) and the translation (German or English) must be sent in a certified copy. Note that uni-assist e.V. does not provide student guidance. If you have questions about studying, please contact our student advisory service.

Preparatory college (Studienkolleg) and admissions test

If your previous international education has not been sufficient for a direct application for your desired course, the Studienkolleg route could be a good option enabling you to apply. This is a one-year academic preparation course, culminating in a test to assess your suitability for university ("Feststellungsprüfung"). You may also opt to write the Feststellungsprüfung externally, without attending the Studienkolleg ("Externenprüfung"). 

Please note: The Studienkolleg offers different specialisation courses, which qualify you for a specific range of subjects at German universities. Depending on which course at DEKRA | Hochschule für Medien you wish to apply for, you can take either the W-course (for Journalism an PR or Communication Management) or the G-course (for Film and Television).

University access for vocationally qualified persons

The Berlin University legislation (BerlHG § 11) contains a regulation about university access for vocationally qualified persons ("Hochschulzugang für beruflich Qualifizierte"). Whoever has completed at least two years of vocational training in a profession technically similar to the study course and has subsequently worked in that profession for at least three years will have a good chance at enrolling for an undergraduate degree. 

Basically, the following applies: Meeting the conditions for University entrance according to § 11 BerlHG is seen as a vocational qualification. Even if the abovementioned criteria does not apply to you, it will be advisable to check your specific case in detail. The DEKRA | Hochschule für Medien admissions office can advise you on studying without an Abitur qualification ("Studieren ohne Abitur"). 

Further links